12 Mar Salad-in-a-Jar to the Rescue!
How AWESOME would it be to begin your week confident that you have delicious, healthy meals prepped for the next several days?
Salads-in-a-jar to the rescue!
These yummy-looking meals are easy to make and packed with nutrition. We “eat with our eyes”, so the extra visual appeal of the jars makes you WANT to eat healthy! They will stay fresh for up to 5 days in your fridge if packed correctly.
It’s all about the order ….
The secret to a perfect, tasty Mason Jar Salad is all in the order you fill it.
- The dressing always goes in first. This is so important! It prevents you greens and veggies from getting soggy.
- Next add your protein (chicken, steak, turkey taco meat, hard boiled egg whites, …) This protects you delicate little greens from moisture.
- Add some grains, beans, starch carbs (black beans, corn, peas, quinoa, brown rice, lentils …)
- Add your healthy fats (sunflower seeds, feta cheese, slivered almonds, hemp hearts …)
- Now add other fun stuff (raisins, dried cranberries, broccoli slaw, red onion, sweet potato chunks, shredded cheese …). These are the little things you want to stay dry until just before you eat them.
- And last, bring on the leafy greens! I like to chop up spinach and kale into smaller chunks so I can pack more into my little jar. We can never eat too many healthy greens!
These beauties will stay fresh in the fridge for 4-5 days if:
- The jar itself is completely dry.
- The vegetables, especially the leafy greens are completely dry when assembling.
- Fold a section of paper towel and place it in the very top of the jar before sealing. This really helps with the moisture inside the jars and prolongs freshness.
- Keep refrigerated with a tightly sealed lid.
Where do you buy mason jars?
I love using these wide-mouth quart-sized mason jars from Amazon. These plastic lids are handy as well!
I had a great time making salads today with my friend Holly Houg, who created this combination and just happens to be one of the best healthy chefs ever!
Why not gather with some friends, have fun and make some delicious, beautiful jar meals together?
Here’s a recipe to get you started!
Southwest Chicken Salad-in-a-Jar Recipe.
Cut and cook chicken breast strips, seasoned with taco or southwest seasoning.
Rinse and drain black beans.
Dressing: Mix 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup salsa, 2 tsp southwest or taco spice, and the juice from one lime. Add about 1/3 cup to your jar.
Add chopped tomatoes, onions next, so they can “marinate” in the dressing.
Add chicken and beans.
Add spinach leaves mixed with chopped cilantro.
Add shredded cheese.